Thursday 5 December 2013

A bit windy - Suffolk Irony and Suffolk dialect.

A bit  windy here today.  Nothing like that experienced in Scotland of course. I hope my penfriend on her windy Scottish Island is OK. It's windy there on a normal day so I dread to think what it must be like today.

Thank you to everyone for comments yesterday. Normally my spelling is OK! took me ages to see what was wrong :-) I shall just say I was in a hurry and I'll leave the picture!

 We received our first two Christmas cards in the post this morning. The frugaller in me looked at the one on the left and after thinking " those Kings are lovely colours", my next thought was " that will make 3 good gift  tags after Christmas"!



I was born in Suffolk and have lived here forever, as did my parents and grandparents and great grandparents before me, although we may have crossed the border from Norfolk at some time in the distant past.
There is one problem with this, and that is I forget that people around the world and this country too, don't always understand the ironic sense of humour and our way of over or understating things we have here.
We use Suffolk dialect without even knowing that it IS Suffolk dialect
So a "bit windy" means blowing a gale and if  someone asked me how many people were at a a big event and I said "quite a few". That means lots, even hundreds!
We use the word 'stuff' too much. For instance we would say I got some stuff from the doctor, instead of medicine.
 If I said to two people " have a good Christmas together" it wouldn't mean "have a good Christmas TOGETHER" but "have a good Christmas both of you".
The word " daft" doesn't really mean stupid but is just slightly silly or even a term of endearment!
"Funny"  doesn't always mean hilarious or even slightly amusing and "Owd" (old) doesn't necessarily refer to age. We say "Thus a funny owd day today i'ntit?" ( it is a funny old day today isn't it?) Which means that the weather is a bit odd or odd things have happened.
We say "Ours" or "mine" to mean our home and "yours" is your home.
We say "shew" instead of showed. The word "that " often replaces "it" and if we say " clever" it probably has nothing to do with intelligence. So "he in't too clever" means he is at deaths door!
On a blog the other day when talking about Black Friday, I said everyone in the states goes Christmas shopping. Of course I didn't mean EVERYONE in the USA! It's just the way we say things here.
I know a few times I've had replies to comments and I've had to say you mustn't take what I say too seriously, so much is said in Suffolk in a wry sort of way that I forget people don't understand.
So I'm sorry to anyone who has been offended or puzzled by what I've said.
You'll have to "larn yarself silly Suffolk". (Teach Yourself Suffolk Dialect) and that's not said seriously either!

MOVED

The blog here has now finished please add my new blog to your list instead                               You will find it here at    ...