Thursday 26 November 2015

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in the States and anyone else celebrating on this last Thursday in November.
Welcome to Lisa, number 326 on the followers chart and thanks for comments. Cro corrected the story about St Catherine - thank you for the info.

Yesterday was a lovely sunny day until we had a phone call to ask if we knew a friend had had a stroke last week. No we didn't know, as she was a friend who came round every week for eggs and of course with no eggs to sell we hadn't seen her for a  few weeks. She has lost the use of one arm and her speech. Such a shock for someone who has been fit and well for most of her 78 years. She lives with her sister who was a nurse so that will be useful, but it's sad news.

Nothing much happening here at the moment  so I'll just mention...........

...........£1 saving tip number 26 is:- Make your own bread, it's easy and could save a lot of money. I first started making bread way way back in 1976 when, for a reason I don't remember, there was a bakers strike. I didn't bake bread often while the children were at home but started again a few years ago. Now that my wrists are not as strong as they used to be I use the dough hook on my Kenwood chef to do the hard work. I use the cheapest white bread flour which at present I'm mixing with the second huge bag of  malted wheat flour bought from Approved Food quite a while ago. Flour keeps well as long as it's cool, dry and out of the way of critters. I use Doves farm yeast which keeps in the fridge for ages after opening. I bought 12 packs off Amazon and they are still OK after a year. The only other ingredients are tepid water, a pinch of salt, a pinch of sugar and a knob of butter. I expect the last three could be missed out, but I stick with what works for me.
I see the 3 bread a-rising ( to the tune of Bad Moon Rising!)
One last thing, connected to my post about The Stuff sent from the Red Cross. Look what came through the door yesterday -
A very nice calendar from The Guide Dogs Association charity -How much did this cost them? Will it make me donate?

Back Tomorrow
Sue

MOVED

The blog here has now finished please add my new blog to your list instead                               You will find it here at    ...