Friday 20 May 2016

( Take Two!) It's only a small garden but......

there's quite a variety of flowers in the borders.

The elderly lady (Mary) who lived here prior to the lady ( Beryl) who's executors sold it to us was a keen gardener - so we've been told by  neighbours on both sides - and she managed to squeeze in a lot of shrubs, plants and bulbs. My big flower book is packed in a box  but so far I've identified
Forsythia
Aconites
Pansies
Daffodils
Tulips
Hyacinths
Various Primulas and primroses
Several different Rose bushes

 Forget-me-nots
Cotoneastor
Bamboo
A Laburnham Tree
Pyracantha
An Acer
Fuschia
Rosemary
Aubretia
Feverfew
Loads of Borage ( running a bit wild)
Few Iris
Lily of the valley


Garlic chives? but with pink flowers (also spreading everywhere)
Grape Hyacinths (ditto)
Welsh Poppies ( ditto again)
 Crocosmia 
Foxgloves
Delphiniums
Weigela
A Elaeagnus of some sort
One of the Viburnum family
A too large Leyllandii
2 Buddlias
Variegated grass
 Geum ( perhaps)

Mysterious purple flowered thing looks like a cornflower but with wrong leaves
A Lily?  There is a weed mini geranium thing close by that ought to come out really and something behind that looks a bit weedy too.

I should know this perennial below but can't think of it


 Lambs ears? No that's not right, this will have small pink flowers but can't remember it's name


Another one I should know, is it a Cornus?



I hope when this flowers I'll know what it is


This shrub below is quite tall and looks like a cross between a honeysuckle and a blueberry( and it's got blackfly )
 A Climbing ?
Clematis


Another mystery shrub below


Plus some other perennials that I don't recognise yet, although I hope when they flower I'll have a bit more of an idea.



 I pushed the publish button yesterday by mistake when doing this post, didn't realise and found 6 comments already so I've copied them onto the post below


6 comments:

  1. Your garden sounds very colourful.
    Julie xxxxxxxxx
    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me of the song English Country Garden
    Julie xxxxxxxx
    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a very impressive list of shrubs, plants and bulbs for a small garden-x-
    ReplyDelete
  4. How nice to find all those lovely flowers and nice to hear that you have neighbours on both sides who are friendly. Expect you'll soon have it sorted and how you like it.

    Your bungalow sounds quite perfect for this stage in your life.

    I often add to Colin to my prayer list. Take care.
    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a lot of plants for a small garden. They'll look gorgeous when they are all in bloom. X
    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm guessing then that there's not much space to squeeze any vegetables in, but I bet it's about to look very colourful :-)


    Thank you to everyone above. There would be space for veg if we replaced the grass in the middle with veg beds but if we move and let the bungalow out then it's best left simple.

    I shall keep weeding and cutting things back so that when the grass is cut it all looks quite tidy

    Back soon
    Sue

MOVED

The blog here has now finished please add my new blog to your list instead                               You will find it here at    ...