Sunday, 1 January 2017

January



When the children were small we had this book with it's lovely illustrations. I hope we still have it in a box  and will find it when we unpack.
It says January brings the snow, makes your toes and fingers glow.  I don't know if we will get snow this January, what's the betting it will be just when we move, that's if we actually do get to move this month..... the computers of solicitors work exceedingly slowly.

Product Details

.We've had a couple of foggy grey days here but while the sun was out yesterday I clicked the two bits of colour we have in the garden at the moment.......a  pink flowered shrub/tree and the bright yellow and green

of this, and as my ID book is still in a box I can't name either of  them except for guessing the top one is probably a Viburnum and the bottom an Eleagnus. Book-shelves will be top of the list of things we need when we move, can't wait to get unpacked and see what's  been forgotten in a year.

One of my Christmas gifts was A Country Wisdom and Folklore Diary which gives this rhyme for January 1st
"Take out before you take in
Bad luck is sure to begin.
Take in before you take out
Good luck will come about" 

I think this gives me permission to go and 'take in' a new kettle before I take out the Christmas decorations! Ours gave up last week and I had to search boxes for an old one which switches on and boils but refuses to switch off, which is OK except when you live with someone who has a habit of putting the kettle on and then disappearing to the loo or outside.
Which camp do you fall into with small electricals? - cheapy from Wilkinsons as before which we had for about 3 years (costing £12 now) or more expensive at around £20 lasting who knows or top notch super douper at £40. Will top notch last 3 times the length of cheapy? With Suffolk's hard water I doubt it. I quite fancy a red one with white spots........ Oh the excitement mounts!!

Although I said today was all about looking forward I did have a quick look back to see what I had written this time last year and discovered I'd had a few days break from blogging to get my head round  all the changes that were about to happen in 2016. Seems strange to think we are about to go through the same thing all over again and back then we didn't even have the full diagnosis or realise just how serious the illness was.

So off we go on the adventure that is a New Year. I don't make resolutions or plans because things usually don't pan out quite the way we thought. Getting through whatever happens is the best I can do.

 
As someone has very nearly said somewhere before

May each day of the year be a good day and may all of your wishes come true

Image result for new year 2017 images



Many Thanks for all the comments on yesterday's post
Back Soon
Sue


32 comments:

  1. Happy New Year to you both. I hope your moving plans go well. It always amazes me how SLOW it is to move in this country - in NZ you can sell and be out within the month - virtually unheard of hear where it seems to drag on for ages.

    We too are hoping to move this year - so to New Adventures, Health and Happiness for the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy new year , I am really looking forward to your posts about your new home , On the kettle front i had a kettle and toaster set from littlewoods it is swan only £29.99 and its been the best one yet, Also as i like the coloured ones and am very clumsy they dont scratch very much either xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year and all the best for the house move...but mostly strength to Col for his upcoming treatment. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year Sue! We always start our looking forward by looking back. And I always hope I've learned and grown from previous experiences; i.e. things I can apply to life in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love my red kettle with white spots from Asda.
    Wishing you and Col a very Happy New Year with lots of strength to get through the trials ahead.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh snap that's what I decided on! Hope it lasts a bit longer than 3 years

      Delete
  6. The top one looks like viburnum 'bodnatense' Dawn. The botton one is euonymous fortunei, of which there are numerous yellow and gold cultivars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the leaves might be too big for euonymous and it's about 6 foot tall too and we had a silver euonymous back at the smallholding which never got more than about 4 foot. But I might be wrong

      Delete
    2. Philip got there first with the ID, yes it's a Euonymous, a Japanese Spindle. Related to our wild Spindle but evergreen. It can grow really tall, ours is about 7ft and the one in my Mum's garden is a plan green one which is at least 15ft. Sometimes after a hot summer they have orange berries - shaped like the wild Spindle's pink ones.
      Good choice of kettle - Suffolk water is a kettle-killer!
      Happy New Year!

      Delete
    3. Hi Celia, lovely to find another Suffolk Blogger.

      Delete
  7. Happy New Year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year to you Sue, and to Col and all the family. I hope the next few months aren't too hard for you all, I'm sure the newest members of your family will help you get through it with a smile.

    I've had lower, middle and higher end kettles and irons, they all seem to last about 3 years before they need replacing. I think a new iron might be on the agenda here this month. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My irons seem to last a lot longer than kettles which says a lot about how much they are used :-)

      Delete
  9. Happy New Year to you and Col.

    We have plenty of snow - I'll be willing to share with you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy new Year. new kettle this year, which was mid priced, we are preserving it by filtering the cold water first. (Bretiva jug thingy) And after 6 months there is no lime scale!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year Sue. Hope it's an improvement on last year for you.
    I can't comment on kettles, some are okay and some aren't. You never know until you get it home and use it. I will say though that the iron I use I've had for about 15 years. It's a basic one and I bought it at a small electrical shop in the village we lived in Devon. When I went in I asked for a plain basic iron and that I didn't want an all-singing, all-dancing model and that is exactly what I got. It's a Morphy Richards turbosteam and it does the job well.

    Joan (Wales)

    ReplyDelete
  12. All the best for the New Year to you and Col.
    I like the sound of your book, I have actually got a few folklore books in my amazon wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wise words, hard earned I'm sure, on planning and getting through each day. I'm the wanderer-from kettles and boiling pots and microwaves and pretty much anything else most people would stand and watch. I need to smarten up or I'll be headed for the "home".

    ReplyDelete
  14. The weather is wet and dark grey here. I've been for a walk for a couple of hours.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy New Year! In my experience, the only thing that solicitors act on in a timely fashion is sending you their bill!
    I got fed up buying cheap kettles that need replacing every year, so I've invested in a more expensive one that is now on six years and counting which, the way I was going through cheaper ones means about four less in landfill.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wishing you both a better New Year. I tend to buy middle of the road electricals.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy New Year and all the very best to you and Col. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I need to find a new larger size mixing bowl as it was broken by accident yesterday while husband was mixing up pizza dough. It was a handmade pottery bowl so will not find one like it except if the maker has one in stock. I have his phone number and will call tomorrow. Or just go to a store and buy a Pyrex glass boring one. Sigh!Not replacing it with anything plastic. I'm trying to take in my waist by exercising and eating a bit less. Taking out things I don't need any more, including Christmas decor. I've already removed a few things from kitchen I don't need as of yesterday. Happy new week of the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy New Year Sue. Best wishes for the house move & Col's health.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cheapy Asda kettles , they come with a years guarantee and we kill kettles here

    ReplyDelete
  21. May Col end 2017 in much better health than he enters it. That is my wish.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy New Year. I hope the move goes well, and more importantly that Col's health improves this year. You have been through so much in the last twelve months, let's just hope the next twelve are slightly more easy for you. xx

    ReplyDelete