Tuesday, 3 January 2017

Not off to a good start

2017 hasn't started quite how we wished as Colin has been very poorly with the Norovirus. Because of his background illness it has really knocked him for six, almost back to how he was after being in hospital for all those weeks in the summer. It's going to take an age for him to build up strength. We see his consultant next week so maybe he'll suggest something to help. Thank heavens I didn't go down with it, just felt not quite right - perhaps in sympathy!

Forgot to mention a jigsaw puzzle, spotted by Colin on the shelf of the Sense charity shop near us just before Christmas, and bought for £1. I'd already decided not to do another puzzle before we moved and had taken one back to my sister but anyway we got started. He doesn't usually do puzzles but got quite into this one until he was struck down and then I managed to get it finished. A fascinating puzzle, loads of people, some the same in each picture which are war time and then 1948. Col said he'd like to get it framed but it's a bit big - would cost a fortune, unless we can find a frame to fit it second-hand.


Having been stuck at home for days I decided to go into town as the charity shops would all be open again. Although in the end I didn't find anything and remembered my pledge NOT to buy any Christmas cards in their sales. I didn't bother with sale shopping anywhere else either and didn't even walk as far as Debenhams, M&S, Primark and all the rest of the big stores. Just bought a couple of hot water bottles from Wilkinsons and a few bits from Poundland including a roll of their brown parcel paper which I plan to use for Christmas wrapping this year. Also bought a pack 4 clear plastic folders as it's time to empty all last years receipts,bills etc from the dresser drawer and sort everything out and I want to separate new house, beach hut, bank and building society stuff to make it easier to find at a glance, before I file everything away.

Picked up my library books which were waiting for me, still haven't got through the Huge Heap I brought home before Christmas. Really mustn't order anymore until I've read all that I've got here.


Right off to get reading

Oh, just remembered I've spied a new follower -Welcome Life on the wink - interesting name!

Thank you for all the comments wishing us Happy New Year and better health for Col - We hope so too

Back shortly
Sue



36 comments:

  1. Really sorry to hear Colin has had a knock back. I hope he feels better soon. That jigsaw has a cracking image I'm not surprised he's keen to get it framed. I've just got back from ordering a few books at the library, nowadays I only buy ones that are keepers.

    take care
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are doing exactly that jigsaw at the moment. Bought as a present some years ago. It is a really good picture

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow what are the chances of that! Amazing coincidence. The roof was the last bit I did but it helped with the war bit being blacked-out and the 1948 bit with more windows.

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear that Colin has been ill. I hope that 2017 is a much better year for you both. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear Col has been really poorly and glad that he's on the mend. I have only once framed a jigsaw and it was a talking point for years when visitors came. We used a frame which has something else in it previously, a sheet of plywood that was in DH's stash and I bought jigsaw glue which is painted over the top. Eventually the pieces started to fall down inside the frame but it lasted for years in our kitchen. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about Colin.Hope he gets his strength back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sorry to hear colin not been so well, that jigsaw is lovely defo get it framed if you can find something xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good wishes to Col and you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor Col! Hope he recovers soon, it really is a nasty virus.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those books look interesting. Sorry to hear Colin not well.

    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear about Col, I see you have a Georgette Heyer book there, I haven't read anything of hers for ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I'd not read any since my working in library days of the 70s, then someone on a book blog mention this - short stories - so I thought I'd see what it was like.

      Delete
  11. You poor things. Norovirus struck here on Christmas day and the family were afflicted for a whole week. It is so debilitating. Love and prayers and best wishes for the new year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's made him so exhausted, luckily no one else we'd seen before he went down with it has been affected.
      Hope your family are now OK.

      Delete
  12. You have some interesting books there - good luck getting through them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry Col is feeling poorly. Hope he feels better soon!

    I stopped at the library today too. I did have a book to pick up but had read a couple of the books I picked up before Christmas so took those back as they are due back at end of week and not sure when we're coming back. I've resolved not to order any more but it's really tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry to read Col's been so poorly, just what he doesn't need. Hope the consultant can do something to pick him up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry Col has been so poorly with it, glad you didn't go down with it too.

    While you are still here, if you ever get stuck and need something to be picked up and dropped round - whatever- let me know. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadie, that is so kind of you to offer, Thankfully I didn't really get the bug so was able to go out for fruit which was all I needed with Col not eating anything and all the Christmas stuff in the house

      Delete
  16. Hope Colin is feeling better, it's a nasty virus at the best of times, without attacking Colin whose immune system is not up to full power.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's really sad and tough, just got to keep battling on I guess. Noro is horrendous.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope that Col feels better and gets his strength back soon.

    That jigsaw puzzle is fascinating! It really looks like a challenge. You find the best puzzles and only a £1.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So sorry to hear that Col was so poorly from the Norovirus - just what he DIDN'T need . . . I hope there is something the consultant can give him to give him a boost.

    I am in a jigsaw mood but also in a reading mood, so concentrating on the latter and reading my way through the first four of Ann Cleeve's Shetland series (excellent).

    A good haul for you to move onto when you've finished the current pile!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I do hope your husband recovers soon and that you don't catch it also.

    We do love puzzles here and try to remember to have one out when the grandkids visit. It brings us all together and phone are put down. Both are good things.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Poor Col as if he's not been through enough already. Hope he manages to build himself back up and glad to hear you've managed to avoid it.

    I got my jigsaw out today. Just felt like doing it. Must be jigsaw season:)Xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hope Col is feeling better soon. Slow and steady wins the race!!! Lots of good reading to keep you occupied.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a horrible thing for Col to catch.
    I think that is what Ruby and Marlowe had before Christmas although theirs wasn't as bad a bout as it was when Ruby had it when she was about two. I was childminding her then so had to deal with it and it was truly awful.
    Love that jigsaw-x-

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is one huge puzzle. If Col wants to frame it I do hope you can find a frame at one of the charity shops.

    I hope Col gets healthy again very soon.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hoping (praying) the virus clears up soon, that Col recovers well enough to handle the next phase of treatment + your move, and that any other 2016 problems retreat quickly for you both. Have you found a buyer for your town home? You may have. I may have missed a post about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No not yet, we hope that once we've moved out the rooms will look bigger and someone will buy it. We are going to be a bit short of cash until it sells which is a worry.

      Delete
  26. Get well soon Col, norovirus sounds horrid. Hope your 2017 improves!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sorry to hear that Colin is poorly again. Hope he feels better soon. I was given that jigsaw for Christmas last year but haven't started it yet. I think I'll give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This virus seems to be wiping people out left, right and centre. So sorry he's picked this up :( hoping he feels a lot better soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Poor old Col - as if he hadn't got enough to cope with without the virus. Hope he is soon better and that the meeting with the consultant is helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh Sue, your poor old husband. Hope he feels more like his usual self soon.

    That is a fabulous looking jigsaw and I spy a new Charlotte Mendelson book...must check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm so sorry to hear that Colin has been struck down with NV too. My HG has had it since mid December now, it keeps flaring back up and he's fed up with it. Sounds like you are itching to get organised. I need to take a leaf out of your book!

    ReplyDelete